Honoring Blessed Theresa

Blessed Theresa Statue on Sancta Maria in Ripa CampusBlessed Theresa was born Caroline Gerhardinger (1797-1879), and lived during turbulent times in Bavaria. At the age of 15, she was already a certified teacher in the girls’ school in Stadtamhof near Regensburg. She was a gifted educator whose enthusiasm and encouragement made her a beloved teacher. Under the spiritual guidance of Bishop George Michael Wittmann (1760-1833), Blessed Theresa gradually recognized God’s call to found a religious community in response to the current educational needs.

On November 16, 1835, she professed her religious vows and took the name Mary Theresa of Jesus. Her love for God helped define her goals: to know God and to do God’s will. Blessed Theresa anchored her community in poverty and dedicated it to the Virgin Mary.

The first sisters were received in Neunburg vorm Wald on April 10, 1836. Blessed Theresa sent sisters in twos and threes to small towns and villages where they taught girls who had been deprived of an adequate education. In 1843, she moved the congregation to a new motherhouse in Munich. Missionaries from America soon came to visit and to ask if the School Sisters of Notre Dame would come teach the children of the German immigrants who were arriving in rapidly increasing numbers. Blessed Theresa and five sisters, including young Mother Caroline Friess, arrived in the United States in 1847.

Blessed Theresa returned to Munich a year later, leaving Mother Caroline as a leader in the United States. Upon her return to Germany, she began opening motherhouses in Germany and present-day Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Romania and Poland. The demand for sisters throughout these areas rose in schools and orphanages.

In 1865, Pope Pius IX approved the rule and constitutions of the School Sisters of Notre Dame. Blessed Theresa continued to govern the congregation as its general superior until her death in Munich on May 9, 1879. On November 17, 1985, Mary Theresa of Jesus Gerhardinger was declared “Blessed” by Pope John Paul II at St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome.

 

Honor Blessed Theresa's lasting legacy by giving to SSND

Your partnership with SSND allows us to focus on the needs of our growing number of retired sisters. As sisters move from full time compensated ministry to part time or volunteer services, followed by their ministry of prayer and presence, their dependence on health services increases. Consequently, our need for our benefactors’ help also increases. Your prayers and financial support are sincerely appreciated.

Give Now

 
You may also be interested in:
  • SSNDs break bread with immigrants and refugees Five SSNDs showed their international sides by bringing donated bread to a potluck luncheon held by the International Institute in St. Louis. The luncheons promote cultural understanding by providing community members and recent immigrants and refugees with a casual setting to learn about each other.
  • SSND influenced new school in Kenya Because of a scholarship from SSNDs in Kisii, Kenya, Judith Odero defied the odds and graduated from high school. The opportunities she received from SSNDs prompted her to open a school in one of the largest slums in Nairobi to educate the underprivileged.
  • Prayer through quilting Sister Josephine Niemann displayed two fabric pieces at Good Shepherd Gallery in north St. Louis to honor Pope Francis’s encyclical Laudato Sí. The quilt, “Global Warming,” and the banner, “Creation,” represent a creative take on the serious subject of caring for the Earth.
 

Want to learn more?

*
*
*

School Sisters of Notre Dame

320 East Ripa Avenue

St. Louis, MO 63125

Phone: 314-561-4100

info@ssndcp.org

 

© 2017 School Sisters of Notre Dame

Donate
Events
News